JOB ADVERT-GIS-Data Officer
Kenyan Wildlife Conservancies Association (KWCA) is the national membership representative body for wildlife conservancies in Kenya. Our mission is to catalyse the conservancy movement by connecting, informing, convening and representing conservancies and other key stakeholders in a shared effort to make wildlife conservancies thrive in Kenya.
KWCA seeks to recruit a highly motivated, analytical and skilled GIS/Data management officer to join our team based in Nairobi with frequent travel to the field. The GIS Data Officer will report to the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and serve as the KWCA GIS Data focal point, coordinating the conservancy data management including geospatial data.
About the Role
The GIS/Data Officer will lead in data collection, analysis, reporting and provide technical support to programmes. The position requires a dynamic, well-organised, hard-working, and committed team player with a keen eye to detail. The GIS/Data Officer will be required to maintain a comprehensive conservancy database for the KWCA target landscapes, provide the team with technical assistance on GIS, spatial analyses and managing data portal. The GIS/Data Officer will be a part of the M&E Unit and will support in the collection, storage, analysis, mapping, and communication of geospatial information required in the development of annual impact reports and status reports.
The position will be based in Nairobi, with regular trips to the field to provide direct technical advice, monitoring, and capacity building of landscape associations.
Key areas of Responsibility
Establish and maintain a database of Conservancies GIS data
- Support the maintenance of a database containing GIS spatial and non-spatial data for conservancies and landscape associations in all landscapes where where conservancies are located.
- Continually identify new conservancies, digitise maps and enrich the spatial database with conservancies’ spatial and non-spatial data relevant to KWCA conservation programs.
- Ensure the Conservancy database is appropriately stored and regularly backed up on KWCA Geo-portal.
- Provide technical support to the development and maintenance of web database applications i.e., Salesforce and any other database program and functions requiring programming and analysis.
- Provide training, technical assistance, and mentorship to programmatic staff regarding all aspects of database management, including data compilation, logging, analysis, and access.
- Provide advice on appropriate GIS, spatial analysis, and database software, to ensure that the software used is of the appropriate standard.
Prepare maps and undertake spatial analyses
- Provide GIS support to KWCA member conservancies and landscape associations, including the development of thematic maps.
- Undertake ground-truthing as needed, in conjunction with field staff, in order to verify the maps and spatial analyses produced and to determine levels of accuracy.
- Provide technical inputs on GIS for conservancies monitoring and reporting.
- Develop high-quality maps for reports, presentations, and other communication materials.
- Collect data and information as prescribed in the KWCA M&E policy and based on the approved indicators
- Maintain up to date the institutional data and data from conservancies
- Undertake analysis of the data and provide technical assistance to project staff on data management, analysis and reporting
Technical Support and Reporting
- Provide capacity building to field staff to ensure that spatial analysis becomes part of the program analysis in implementing activities.
- Present results to relevant stakeholders at the national and landscape level as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of status of conservancies reports by providing datasets and data analysis required, as well as submit regular technical reports to the management.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in geography, environmental science, management information systems, or another similar field and with qualifications in GIS
- At least 3 years’ experience in conceptualisation and preparation of maps and other cartographic products using ArcGIS systems with a working knowledge of the latest version of the software
- Excellent practical knowledge on spatial analysis skills, field mapping and GIS analysis (ESRI ArcGIS Pro preferred) and a remote sensing background an advantage.
- Advanced spreadsheet management, innovative data entry skills, and some experience with non-spatial data management databases.
- Ability to understand and analyse data in various formats, aggregate information and report on trends and findings
- Strong communication skills, organised and detail-oriented.
- Highly initiative and able to competently work with little supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A high interest in wildlife conservation.
Please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] not later than 16th September 2022 stating in the subject line “GIS Data Officer Position”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. KWCA is an equal-opportunity employer.Posted on