Consultancy Opportunity to Develop an Indirect Cost Rate Policy
The Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association (KWCA) is a national landowner led membership organisation, established in 2013 to serve the collective interests of over 160 community and private conservancies. KWCA works to create an enabling environment for conservancies to thrive by advocating for the right policies, laws and incentives and supporting them through information sharing, and capacity building. KWCA recognises that conservancies represent a strong mechanism to promote wildlife stewardship and custodianship by local communities and landowners that share land with wildlife.
In the last eight years, KWCA has grown from a relatively nascent start-up organisation to a more effective and established organisation that now plays a critical national leadership role in the country’s conservation, environment and natural resources sector. In addition, KWCA has evolved into a respected and trusted authority in community conservation locally and globally as is evidenced by its growth in membership growth and strategic partnerships.
Currently KWCA heavily relies on donor funds to implement its activities and most of the grants are restricted and direct cost only considered .This presents a need for an indirect cost rate policy to ensure that indirect cost attributed to implementation of programs are considered for successful implementation. Most grants do not take into account the total cost (direct and indirect) of executing projects efficiently and effectively.
Objective of the assignment
KWCA is looking to acquire services from a firm/agency/individual to develop an indirect cost rate policy. This policy will be used to negotiate with funding partners for consideration of indirect cost rate hence unlocking funding for the indirect costs associated with successful execution of projects.
Scope of Work
The tasks are as follows;
- Hold an inception meeting with KWCA Finance Team to better understand the requirements, priorities and expectations from the onset.
- Prepare organisational review, review Federal and non-Federal funding, review accounting structure and prepare a cost policy statement outlining cost considered as direct and cost to be considered as indirect.
- Suggest methods for allocating indirect costs to KWCA donors/partners, government contracts, subcontracts, task/delivery orders, grants, and Select indirect cost rates that may best meet KWCA’s cost, be used as an internal management tool that can guide on budgeting to meet KWCA’s objectives
- Recommend what component costs will be included in each cost pool to best meet KWCAs’ pricing objectives
- Conduct sensitivity analysis to help select the best alternative indirect cost rate structure for KWCA
- Prepare a cost allocation plan
- Prepare an indirect cost rate proposal
- Establish a justification for the selected method of allocating indirect costs
- Prepare a written policy that auditors and donors will consider a requirement describing method of allocating indirect costs, indirect cost rates
- Activity Work plan
- Indirect Cost Allocation Proposal
- Indirect Cost Rate Policy
Required qualifications and skills
The consultant must meet the following specifications:
- An advanced degree in Finance and/or Accounting
- Experience with donor funded programs
- Previous experience in similar assignment
- Registered with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya
- Flexible, creative, detail-oriented and well organised
- Ability to maintain the highest standards of confidentiality and professionalism and sound judgement
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Submission of Proposal
The proposal should demonstrate sound knowledge, technical skills and capacity as required by the nature of work of the assignment and understanding of the requisite tasks set forth in the scope of work.
Eligible consultants should submit the following;
- Technical and financial proposals
- Date and activity schedule
- CV of designated personnel
- Minimum of 2 recommendations from previous similar assignments
The proposals should be emailed to [email protected] indicating clearly on the email header the title of the consultancy by Wednesday 29th July, 2022