Consultancy to Develop a Strategic Plan for the Association of Wildlife Conservancies Rangers in Kenya (AWRCK)
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association (KWCA) is a national landowner-led membership organisation established in 2013 to serve the interests and collective voice of over 160 community and private conservancies. KWCA works to create an enabling environment for conservancies to thrive by advocating for the right policies, laws and incentives and supporting them through information sharing and capacity building. KWCA recognises that conservancies represent a solid mechanism to promote wildlife stewardship and custodianship by local communities and landowners that share the land with wildlife.
KWCA recognises the critical role of community rangers in the conservation and livelihood outcomes in Kenya’s wildlife conservancies. Over the last three years, KWCA has partnered with WWF through the Voices for Diversity Program to progressively build the capacity and network of community rangers in the country.
For a long time, community rangers in Kenya have had limited networking ability at a landscape and national level. To effectively connect and share information, experiences, and best practices on security and community engagement strategies, community rangers require support to coordinate and convene. KWCA’s strategic plan identifies the need to turn the current conservancy focused ranger operations into a coordinated network of community rangers with effective links across conservancies and the ability to work with KWS rangers to meet national biodiversity conservation goals.
In 2018, KWCA supported the Association of Wildlife Conservancies Rangers in Kenya (AWCRK) registration as a platform to link rangers in Kenya and the international rangers networks such as the Game Rangers Association of Africa (GRAA) and International Rangers Federation (IRF).
Based on this background, KWCA, in partnership with WWF-Kenya through implementation of the project Strengthening Coordination among Community Rangers in Kenya to deliver community and conservation outcomes, requests the services of a consultant to develop a strategic plan for the association.
2.0. GOAL & OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall goal of this consultancy is to develop a strategic plan for the Association of Wildlife Conservancies Rangers in Kenya.
The consultancy scope of work includes but not be limited to;
- Undertake a desktop review on strategies employed by membership organisations to deliver their programs and membership services including the work of rangers’ networks such as the International Rangers Federation and Game Rangers Association Africa.
- Hold Key Informant interviews with ranger employers, lead rangers, and organisations supporting rangers’ activities to identify priority actions, challenges, opportunities that the association can embed in the strategy.
- Facilitate a consultative meeting to engage rangers in mapping out the vision, mission, strategic objectives, and activities.
- Present the draft strategy to the association management committee for review and validation
- Incorporate recommendations from various stakeholders into the final draft of the strategy
The following deliverables will be expected from the consultant;
- Report on the process including stakeholder consultations
- A final strategic plan including a results and resources framework
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
KWCA seeks to contract a consultant with the following qualifications/expertise:
- Academic Qualifications: A degree in a relevant field in the area of strategic management, natural resource management, development studies and governance. (Master’s degree is an added advantage)
- Experience: At least five years of professional experience in strategic planning and management, experience working in development programs, especially in the area of capacity development and natural resource management
- Skills and Competencies: Ability to work with minimal supervision; high level written and oral communications skills in English and Kiswahili; skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagements/workshops; evidence of having undertaken similar assignments
SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Interested persons should submit an expression of interest indicating your understanding of the terms and indicative remuneration expectation, attach CV showing experience in handling similar assignments to: [email protected]cakenya.com on or before 28th April 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.