Job Opportunity- National CBNRM Coordinator
Community-Based Natural Resource Management (CBNRM) is a major strategy for enhancing conservation outcomes while also seeking to improve livelihoods. Communities are at the centre of natural resources management and governance. CBNRM encompasses natural resources. Natural resources—the resources people depend upon for their livelihoods—generally mean renewable natural resources, including water, forests, fisheries, rangeland, and wildlife.
CBNRM aims to create the right incentives and conditions for resource users within defined areas to use natural resources sustainably. This means enabling the resource users to benefit (economically) from resource management as well as the development of accountable decision-making bodies that can represent community members and act in their interests.
The Ministry of Environment and Forestry working with various partners (WWF, ACC, KWCA and others) have identified the need to have a coordinated approach for CBNRM across the various sectors and actors in Kenya. The strategy is to establish a CBNRM desk to be based at the Ministry of Environment and Forestry. The purpose of the desk is to coordinate international, national, and local actors to better engage and support communities in conserving and sustainably managing natural resources.
The Ministry and partners are therefore seeking to recruit a Coordinator to support coordination as well as resource mobilisation. The position will be based at the Ministry of Environment and Forestry and work closely with conservation actors in Kenya. The post holder will:
- Identify and foster partnerships between government, non-governmental organizations and Community Based Organizations on CBNRM
- Engage relevant line ministries and establish an expanded and representative steering committee to support the CBNRM desk
- Establish a national forum with representatives from all sectors of resource managers – national, county, landowner and resource user groups to coordinate and integrate sectoral interests
- Convene joint meetings to lay out a strategy, work plan and budget for developing a CBNRM policy/strategy, support services, and national integrated framework
- Periodically convene CBNRM experience and support learning nationally and regionally to support regional integration of policies, planning and management under the East African Community
- Support in the development and implementation of national conservation plans and strategies
- Mobilize financial and other resources necessary for effective advancement of CBNRM agenda in the country and in the region
- A Master’s degree in Natural resource management, social sciences, development studies or any other related field
- At least eight (8) years relevant field experience in NRM with focus on community based approaches
- Experience working with partners, multiple stakeholders and donors
- Experience in resource mobilisation
Required skills and competencies
- Ability to plan organize and implement complex partnership programmes
- Excellent public relations and diplomatic skills
- Solid knowledge of natural sciences with very good understanding of main issues in conservation science in Kenya and the region
- Ability to work across cultures and multi-disciplinary team; excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in collating information and communicating results
- Exposure to enterprise development and income generation for community enterprises is an added advantage
Application should include:
- CV detailing previous engagement – with summary of roles and responsibilities with your full contacts and contacts of at least two referees: –
- Letter of motivation detailing your motivation and qualifications for the job.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should email their applications with ‘National CBNRM Coordinator” on the subject line to the HR and Administration Manager, WWF Kenya at [email protected] so as to reach him on or before 17th May 2019
Kindly note that only shortlisted persons will be contacted