Short-Term Consultancy to Coordinate Activities of the Association of Wildlife Conservancies Rangers in Kenya (AWCRK)
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association (KWCA) is a national landowner-led membership organisation established in 2013 to serve the interests and collective voice of over 160 community and private conservancies. KWCA works to create an enabling environment for conservancies to thrive by advocating for the right policies, laws and incentives and supporting them through information sharing and capacity building. KWCA recognises that conservancies represent a solid mechanism to promote wildlife stewardship and custodianship by local communities and landowners that share the land with wildlife.
KWCA recognises the critical role of community rangers in the conservation and livelihood outcomes in Kenya’s wildlife conservancies. Over the last three years, KWCA has partnered with WWF through the Voices for Diversity Program to progressively build the capacity and network of community rangers in the country.
For a long time, community rangers in Kenya have had limited networking ability at a landscape and national level. To effectively connect and share information, experiences, and best practices on security and community engagement strategies, community rangers require support to coordinate and convene. KWCA’s strategic plan identifies the need to turn the current conservancy focused ranger operations into a coordinated network of community rangers with effective links across conservancies and the ability to work with KWS rangers to meet national biodiversity conservation goals.
In 2018, KWCA supported the Association of Wildlife Conservancies Rangers in Kenya (AWCRK) registration as a platform to link rangers in Kenya and the international rangers networks such as the Game Rangers Association of Africa (GRAA) and International Rangers Federation (IRF).
Based on this background, KWCA, in partnership with WWF-Kenya through the implementation of the Strengthening Coordination among Community Rangers in Kenya to deliver community and conservation outcomes, requests the services of a consultant to support the coordination of activities of the Association of Wildlife Conservancies Rangers in Kenya.
GOAL & OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall goal of this consultancy is to support the coordination of activities of the Association of Wildlife Conservancies Rangers in Kenya. The consultancy objective includes;
- Organise quarterly meetings for the management committee of the association
- Support a consultant to develop the association’s strategic plan
- Facilitate the association to hold its Annual General Meeting
- Organise training on human rights for conservancy rangers
- Maintain the association communication including social media and website updates
The following deliverables will be expected from the consultant and payment for this assignment shall be pegged on their achievement.
- Minutes of quarterly meetings
- Workshop reports
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
KWCA seeks to contract a consultant with the following qualifications/expertise:
- Proven technical knowledge and adequate experience in conservancies, conservancy rangers’ operations/management or community-based conservation,
- Proven ability to plan, manage and conduct meetings.
- Ability to mobilise and recruit members.
- Excellent communication, presentation, report writing and analytical skills.
- Knowledge and experience of the work of rangers, roles, working environment, challenges, and relations within community setup
SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Interested persons should submit expression of interest indicating your understanding of the terms and indicative remuneration expectation, attach CV showing experience in handling similar assignments to: [email protected] before 15th April 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.